Welcome to the Local History of Henham, Little Henham and Pledgdon

church and crocuses


Henham is a parish of about 1,500 people settled long before the Domesday Book of 1085. It is situated about five miles north-east of Bishops Stortford in the English county of Essex. Expansion of the village, development of Stansted Airport and proposed building of a nearby new town (aka 'Dumpton') would change Henham immeasurably. Here we try to record the village as it was, as it is now, unless or before it is lost. Formerly known as Henham on the Hill and Henham on the Mount, the parish also includes the two hamlets of Little Henham and Pledgdon (or Prison Green).


WHAT's NEW - as of the 4th. April 2018

1.1950s video of the fete and 39 colour photos of Henham taken from a low-flying helicopter in about 1985. 38 of them are here. The 39th is of Elsenham Station and is here

2. We have added a handful of colour aerial photos of the district here

3. We have uploaded the Remembrance Sunday webpage that we originally built for the village website. There are photos from 2011-2017 (except 2016).

4. Thaxted Flyer posters, images and a link to a You Tube Thaxted Flyer video