by William White (born at Henham 24th August 1903

1919 - ‘Lamberts’ the meadow where the village children played

There were two cottages next to the Whites at Star Green - Mr. Bunting then Mr. Sage (’Old Flint’)

There was a general store tucked away in a corner of Star Green on the Rotten Row and owned by the two Miss Benfields

Miss Judd’s shop was at Wood End Green opposite Wary Pond

A fish shop was opened on the same side of Wood End Green as Miss Judd’s about halfway down the green. It didn’t last long.

Miss Hornsby owned a shop opposite the Bury. It sold confectionery, odds & ends, and children’s clothing


To view a hand-drawn map of Henham in the early 1900s,

Miss Willitt who lived across the Green from the school sold home-made sweets

crow macky
Crow Street with Macky Willet's shop to the right, standing next to, and in front of, Cedar Cottage

willet front

willet 2

Frank Wright owned a cycle hire business and sold & repaired shoes.There was a shoe repair shop at Crows Corner. The Turner family were carpenters.  Mr White recalled Mr Heard the wheelwright putting on a iron tyre to a wooden wheel of a wagon or cart on the piece of green fronting the Cock Inn 

Ernie Wright and brothers were builders and had a yard near the Wary Pond 

There were three small local farms.-

Yarrows and Newmans were opposite each other near the Bell Inn. There was also Robert Wright at Bacons farm opposite the vicarage in Crow Street 

The most popular man in the village was Jack Hayden the blacksmith. The smithy was opposite the Gardeners in Church Street. He would willingly mend the children’s iron hoops that they played with and turned along the roads.  On the morning of Sunday 5th August 1914 Jack Hayden came excitedly along Church Street claiming that war had been declared.  

The Post Office (pre 1914) Wheelwright at Church End
post office