Welcome to the Local History of Henham, Little Henham and Pledgdon
Henham is a parish of about 1,500 people settled long before the Domesday Book of 1085. It is situated about five miles north-east of Bishops Stortford in the English county of Essex. Expansion of the village, development of Stansted Airport and proposed building of a nearby new town (aka 'Dumpton') would change Henham immeasurably. Here we try to record the village as it was, as it is now, unless or before it is lost. Formerly known as Henham on the Hill and Henham on the Mount, the parish also includes the two hamlets of Little Henham and Pledgdon (or Prison Green).
If you are interested in history talks and publications from nearby villages, there is now a page.
WHAT's NEW - as of the 12th. July 2016
1. During the past few days we have uploaded about 200 various photos which are scattered widely across the images drop-down boxes
2. 1963 builder's proposed plan for Vernons Close